Monday, September 26, 2011

First Flutters and A Dancing Baby


When I was about 16 weeks along, I read that soon, I'd be feeling the first movements of my baby. "Quickening", as the book called it, can be felt anytime between 16-22 weeks, and feels like "butterflies" or "tickling" on the inside of your womb.
So I waited for the butterflies.
And kept waiting.
After about a week, and still no movement, I began to worry ( as first time mothers always do). Why wasn't I feeling my baby move? Was he/ she just being lazy? Or was something wrong?
After another week of waiting and worrying, I coaxed myself into relaxing ( after all, worrying is not good for the baby).
I began to relax a little, and then, while I was teaching one day, WHAM!, a bubble floated around in my belly.
Thinking it was just gas ( gross) I continued on with the lesson. But baby wanted attention, and I felt the little bubbles a few more times.
Still not fully convinced, I was actually feeling the baby, I waited a few hours to see if I'd feel it again. The hours passed, and I felt nothing, so I chalked it up to the cheese quesadilla I had for lunch ( never a good idea), and went about my life, trying not to think about the baby moving.

A few nights later, the bubbles were back, and this time they were unmistakable. I happened to be watching The Rachel Zoe Project at the time, so I guess the baby likes fashion and reality tv, a trait he or she certainly inherited from me.

The bubbles continued over the course of the next few days, and a doctor's appointment confirmed that the bubbles were actually our baby making his/her first tiny little movements.

Don't get discouraged if you don't feel your baby's movements right away. This early on, its difficult to be sure of what you're feeling ( especially if you're a first time mamma).

And, if you're impatient like me, and want to speed up the process, you can try Belly Buds, stick- on belly phones which allow you to play music to your womb. By 20 weeks the baby can hear, and mine seems to move more with a little music. The Belly Buds come with an audio splitter, so you and baby can listen to the same tunes.

When my husband first bought me the buds I was skeptical. Were they even safe to use?
But once my doctor gave me the ok, I stuck them on and have been using them ever since.
The baby is 21 weeks now, and I swear he/she likes to dance to the music. Whenever I'm wearing the belly buds, those little bubbles happen more frequently.

So far we've kept it light and have only listened to Mozart for Mothers, but soon this baby's gonna get a little dose of rock and roll. I'm working on the playlist now.

Have a great Monday!

No comments:

Post a Comment