Tuesday, September 27, 2011

As Much Protein as an Egg



If you're like me, you might find it difficult ( or sometimes impossible) to get the required 60-70 grams of daily protein needed during your pregnancy.

During my first trimester, when the thought of any food was daunting, I didn't put in an honest effort to get the protein. Chicken, my former biggest source of lean protein, has suddenly become my kryptonite- the mere sight of it caused me to run from the room. And my morning latte, which I loved for so many many years, would make me sicker than a drunken frat boy. It was obvious that I was not going to get enough protein from the crackers and bread I was eating, but I figured it was all I could do to keep food down.

Now that I'm in my second trimester ( the honeymoon period) and can actually eat food, I honestly tried to get the required does of protein. But it's hard. Man, is it hard.

I grew up in a house with four brothers, so I'm no stranger to the huge vats of protein powder that they used to mix in shakes. Thinking this would be a great solution for me, I asked my doctor, a native Texan, if the shakes were safe. He looked at me like I was a nut job and said that they were ok, but wouldn't I rather have a steak? Not when it's well done, my friend.

After the mixed response on the protein powder, I did my own research and saw that lots of those powders have added ingredients that I didn't want in my system. So I searched on, trying to find a great solution to the protein debacle.

Then, while grocery shopping, I saw Kashi Go Lean Crunch, which is just sweet enough to satisfy a sweet tooth, but without any high fructose corn syrup. The best part about the cereal is that a one cup serving has a whopping 9 grams of protein. As much as an egg! Paired with 8 ounces of milk, my new favorite breakfast contains 17 grams of protein- Nearly a third of my daily requirement! Plus, these crunchy clusters make a great right-out-of-the-box late night snack.

Enjoy the protein ladies!

No comments:

Post a Comment